Thursday, August 12, 2010

More of the saga

I don't have a photo for this episode of the Bat Saga, and you may be glad of that.

Yesterday Lenora came charging out of the Ed Building to where I was weeding and Beth was driving around nearby.  "There's a bat flying around!"

So we all went back in  - I showed Lenora my technique for bat removal, which is to advance fearlessly with something to cover my face - a broom is perfect, turned upside down.  This time I grabbed an empty plastic container (and smelled onions during the entire rescue effort).

Sure enough a bat swooped upon us, so we managed to get the doors open from a crouched position.  But by then it had flown to the sanctuary.  We proceeded bravely forward, closing doors behind us.  The bat flew around  attacked us, so I ran to John's office where he was chatting with a bunch of young men and recruited them to help.  They were eager and truly fearless.  John however took the position outside the door.  I believe he was "holding the doors open".

The poor bat clearly did not know what to make of our shouts and flapping hands, lids and hats, and flew randomly around the sanctuary. After one swoop towards Lenora she ran shrieking from  left the sanctuary.

Finally, we got a plan of attack.  Yes, it was my idea.  I took all the young fellows around (noticing Lenora driving off at a higher rate of speed than usual, with a hand waving out the window to signal God help you  goodbye.)   We came in from the back, advancing toward the door.  Sure enough, the bat flew out to freedom.  The door was held nicely open.

Perhaps I should let the Batmen know that I am available for hire.  And my assistant door-holder is part of the deal.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

haha. this made me laugh! i had to read it out loud to craig as he is putting a shelving unit together...

Anonymous said...

me, too! Mom, you're such a great writer! It's so fun to get caught up on here--can't believe we're missing all the bat fun. :)

Carrie Dorean said...

Poor Lenora! So many of us know the woes of bats at JBC!

Post a Comment