Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

...makes me think of my dad, of course.  He was raised in Alabama, the son of an American sailor from WW1 and an Irish girl, and used to go alligator hunting with his dad.  He was an only child, living next door to a "Waltons" type of family, and he followed these friends up to a small Christian high school near Philadelphia for his senior year.  His father divorced his mother when he was gone, which was quite unusual at the time. Dad had to stay home from college to earn money to take care of her.  She lived with him - and us - the rest of her life.
He met and married my mom, daughter of an architect and contractor who built the largest laminated beam arch of the time.
Dad went off to WW2, flying a bomber in the Pacific arena.  He was with the first occupation forces into Japan.
After the war he began selling cash registers and then became a car salesman.  He moved up to manager, and took over the VW division just as they took off in sales.
He went on to have eight children, eventually having a creative house built for us before he changed jobs and leased an airport.  He led family devotions, and saw to it that we all went to church.
He took us on vacations across the USA and across Canada.
He had his faults, but I think he did an OK job, especially in view of the example he lived under, and also having 8 kids.  I think my oldest brother was 12 when my youngest sister was born.  Dad died shortly after Carrie and Ryan were married.  He lived long enough to meet my first grandchild, Asa.  At his funeral about 5 of his flying friends flew in formation over the cathedral where the service was held, to honor him.  I miss him.
I have often noticed how John as a preacher has a platform for honoring his parents, or anyone he wants to.  And now I have this little opportunity.  And if you would like to write us a little about your dad, please write something in the comment section for us to enjoy.  Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you all know my Dad. :) But I agree that it's nice to have a platform to honor him! He's great--full of passion and zeal and a commitment to eternal decisions that impacts my life to this day. I read somewhere that we get a lot of our identity from our fathers--and I'm grateful I got to get his passionate commitment to see the kingdom of God come here on earth. Thanks, Dad!

jmdorean@hotmail.com said...

thanks for the comment, Em. So good to get some response.

Post a Comment